Monday, August 4, 2014

Skies at Blue Lake {Earrings of the Month}

Late, late, late and - hopefully - worth the wait. I had put off my July shipment, hoping that I would master a wire wrapping technique for my subscribers. But, I wasn't happy with the results. Boo. So, I found inspiration in the skies overhead at Modoc National Forest and whipped up some creations that reminded me of those dramatic colors and clouds. Sorry for the delay, ladies!

We take a 10-day camping trip every summer, starting with a few days with my in-laws at Blue Lake. And, though we go every year, I am always astounded by the clouds. I don't know if it's the altitude - or what - but the clouds there are unlike any I have ever seen before.


When I mention it to my husband, every year, he just shrugs. "That's what I grew up with. I don't really know what you mean." Fine. 

This is what I mean: cotton candy clouds. These are the clouds that little kids draw on their papers in kindergarten. They are bulbous and so, so white. We don't have these clouds at the coast. Or, at least, they are very rare. While we kayak or canoe around the lake, I always look up and play I Spy in the formations. 


This year, in addition to the fluffy cotton candy clouds, we also had ominous, grey clouds that were stunning as well. They moved in quickly and blanketed the entire horizon. 


I wasn't too thrilled with the five inches of rain we got in less than twenty-four hours, but the clouds were pretty.


For my catch-up earrings (these should have been for July!) I created one-of-a-kind pieces with freshwater pearls in shades from white to indigo, neon blue apatite, golden pyrite, grey labradorite, and crackly blue matte glass beads. I didn't photograph all of them. I hope the gals enjoy these, despite their tardiness. They'll be in the mail tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment