Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Juicy Watermelon Drops

Every now and then I come across a gem that just makes me swoon. For awhile I was enamoured with deep-sea hued kyanite, then it was bright pumpkin-y carnelian.

But I recently came across watermelon tourmaline and was instantly smitten.

What's not to love?! Watermelon + Tourmaline. Food and jewelry colliding. My mind immediately began thinking about what I would pair with this succulent gem.

One of the things that so appealed to me about this gem: it is two-toned, rich green and lucscious magenta. When I agonzied over which color to use - either pink or green - I decided that I wanted to use both colors to create this one-of-a-kind piece.

I handwired a deep pink chalcedony oval flanked by watermelon tourmaline drops and frosted Burmese rubies onto some repurposed oxidized sterling silver chain. There are some green glass beads where the necklace closes in the rear with a sterling silver toggle.
 
Click here to purchase this piece or see more photos of it on my etsy site.

No comments:

Post a Comment