Saturday, January 29, 2011

And the Beet Goes On...

Beets made a double appearance on my dinner table tonight - beet-asiago gnocchi for dinner and chocolate-beet cake for dessert - so it's no surprise I gravitated to some beet-colored druzy nuggets when I sat down to make some jewelry this evening.

Druzy quartz is a thin layer of quartz crystals covering the surface of a host stone.  A good example of druzy is the layer of crystals inside the cavity of a geode.  These, I believe, are agate and are not naturally this color.  But I love them.

Don't worry, I have more of these nuggets, but this piece is mine, all mine!  Beet-colored druzy nuggets are handwired with sterling silver and three different shades of recycled red glass to form this one-of-a-kind necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment