Friday, February 25, 2011

Luscious Watermelon Tourmaline Necklace

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased two watermelon tourmaline briolettes and excitedly waited for some time to create something with them.  But one of the briolettes had a massive inclusion that had not been noted in the description; thankfully the gem-monger let me exchange it for something else.  So, in the end, I only had one piece if watermelon tourmaline to use. 

One of the things that so appealed to me about this gem: it is two-toned, rich green and lucscious magenta.  When I agonzied over which color to use - either pink, red, or green - I decided that I wanted to use both red and green to create this one-of-a-kind piece.

I handwired the watermelon tourmaline with textured sterling silver beads that reminded me of the striped fruit, garnet rondelles, garnet rounds, garnet ovals, and green aventurine rounds with sterling silver and incorporated some repurposed oxidized sterling silver chain.  The necklace closes in the rear with a sterling silver lobster clasp.

To purchase this necklace, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment