Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tulipmania - Tulipa 'Sweetheart'

I have been afflicted with tulipmania since I was a child, lived in Holland, and visited the Keukenhof Garden in Lisse with my parents.  Granted, I had this false vision that tulips were gigantic - skewed by the fact that I was only five-years-old and a petite five-year-old at that - but their elegance and beauty are unmistakable; I have loved them for years.  I love the textures, the colors, even the names:
  • 'Aperitif'

  • 'Apricot Beauty'

  • 'Flaming Parrot'

  • 'Oriental Splendor'

  • 'Pink Diamond'

  • 'Pink Impression'

  • 'Salmon Parrot'

  • 'Scarlet Pimpernel'


  • I've had a bunch of these tulip bead caps for awhile, but was waiting for inspiration to strike. It did. So finally, I went to work, creating these completely unique pieces.

    Here's the first one...
    A heavily-plated sterling silver (over brass) tulip bead cap is handwired with bronze freshwater pearls, chocolate jade, recycled yellow glass, smoky quartz, and citrine chunks to form this one-of-a-kind necklace. It closes in the rear with a sterling silver lobster clasp.

    Click here to purchase this necklace on etsy.com.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment